How Can You Ace Public Speaking Virtually?
Post the COVID-19 pandemic, digitalization has taken over the world by storm. Even though the predominance of virtual presentations has made it easier for public speakers to avoid the crowd and be on stage, it comes with its own struggles.
And mind you! Speaking on a virtual platform is not an easy task, especially if you do not have a suitable environment. If you are struggling with the stress of delivering a successful and effective virtual speech, you are at the right place!
We will list down some of the best tips and strategies to ace your next virtual meeting or presentation.
A top-notch presentation is influenced by the topic, speaking style, preparation, setting, lighting, dress, and interaction. Here are some pointers to help you speak more persuasively at a public virtual event:
- Check the Technicalities: When you are speaking publicly on a virtual platform, it is important to check the technical aspects. Whether your camera is working correctly, the app you are using is updated, you have good hands on the tools you are using, etc. You don’t want to face a technical glitch while you are speaking. While some complications may inevitably occur, you can avoid the possible ones easily.
- Choose the Technology or Visual Aids Wisely: The whole idea of a good virtual presentation depends on technology. Therefore, you want to make sure you choose the right one! For example, you can use Canva, Google Slides, or Microsoft Powerpoint to make an interesting presentation. Also, Zoom or Webinar Ninja allows you to launch a virtual poll which makes your speech more engaging.
- Be Precise: Honestly, when it’s a virtual presentation, people do not usually have that much patience to listen to you for hours. If you wish to ace your speech virtually, being concise and to the point is a must!
- Be Entertaining: When you are on a physical stage or podium, your charisma and body language can speak a lot. But when you are on a virtual platform, make sure you are entertaining. Make use of visuals, such as PowerPoint or video. Share tales and be transparent. You are the main character of a show that your audience is essentially watching. Make sure you grab their attention with your speech.
- Eye Contact: Even on a virtual platform, maintaining eye contact is important. You cannot speak to a group of people while looking down or somewhere else. Looking directly at the camera is the only way to make eye contact during a virtual presentation. Even though you can’t directly address your audience’s gaze, they can see you face-to-face.
- Vocal Delivery is Important: Speakers with monotone tones often make their listeners disinterested. You can be a more persuasive speaker when you sound informed and assured by changing the pitch, pace, and dynamic level of your voice.
- Greater Energy: Ever since the COVID-19 pandemic hit us, people are conducting innumerable zoom meetings, causing fatigue and tiredness. You don’t want your virtual speech to be another boring presentation. To keep the audience engaged, be vivacious, and enthusiastic, and do not be afraid to exhibit over excitement.
With the world embracing the new technological shift, you need to build the skills of a great virtual public speaker.
You can integrate the tips mentioned above in your next virtual presentation and ace it effortlessly.
Stay Awesome. Stay Productive.
– Divas Gupta